Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
This hearty beanless (I have also added beans to this recipe depending on my mood and the company) is a crowd pleaser for any group! The pumpkin adds a touch of sweetness, fiber and vitamin A and it's a great way to sneak more veggies into your diet. Feel free to spice it up by adding more chili powder, jalapenos or cayenne pepper if you like it spicy. I have even added chipotle chili powder to give it a little smokiness and that was a hit too!
You really can't go wrong with this recipe!
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil or pure beef tallow (I use Fatworks Pure Tallow)
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds grass-fed ground beef or bison (you can also make it vegetarian and just substitute beans. I use a combo of kidney and black)
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes (I like fire roasted)
- 1/2 6 oz. can of organic tomato paste
- 1 14 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree! You don't want all the spices..just pumpkin!)
- 1/2 -1 cup chicken or veggie broth or water
- 2 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Optional: chunks of chopped sweet potato
- Heat a large pot, dutch oven over medium to high heat. If you are using an Insta Pot you can use the saute button. Add oil and sate the onions and peppers, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes or until onions start to soften.
- Add garlic and cook additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef if you are using it. Use a spatula or large spoon to break it up as it cooks. Cook until meat is nearly cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer meat mixture if you are using a pot or dutch oven to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Add beans at this point if you are making it vegetarian.
- Set heat to LOW and cook for 6-7 hours. Serve with deisred toppings.
Coach Tip: Some of my favorite toppings are: fresh slices of avocado, green onions, cilantro and a dollop of Greek yogurt.