Simple Lemongrass Coconut Curry
I have been on a coconut frenzy lately and can’t get enough of it. Coconut curry is usually on my weekly dinner rotation because it is so versatile! Pair it with a spicy red Thai curry paste and you can put a tire in the sauce and it would still be finger-licking good. Seriously.
Ok, so granted this is no new recipe. I mean you can search for coconut curry and probably find a million hits. But..this is the curry I eat weekly, the curry I modify with whatever I have on hand. Sometimes I sub halibut in place of chicken which is fabulous. The fish cooks slowly in the sauce and I will serve it with quinoa. Today, I had chicken in the freezer because it was “clean out the fridge” day and added leftover veggies. Honestly, you can add anything and everything you want!!
A few gorgeous aromatics of lemon grass and lime really make the curry pop and add whatever ingredients you have on hand. Easy peasy. Don’t you just love 1 pot dinners??
I know I do!
- 3 cups favorite veggies (I like carrots, zucchini, onions, and broccoli!)
- 8-12 oz. lean protein (e.g. 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 stalks lemon grass (cut in large chunks and bruised)
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup veggie stock or water (use to achieve your ideal consistency)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 jalepeno, chopped (seeded if you want less heat) optional
- ½ inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup cooked quinoa or whole grain brown rice
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp garam masala (if you have it in your pantry. not crucial if you don't!)
- 1 Tbsp sriracha (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- 1 green onion, chopped, for garnish
- 1 Tbsp chopped cashews, for garnish
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add garlic, ginger, onion, jalepeno, red curry paste, turmeric, garam masala and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add your favorite veggies, protein, and lemon grass. Sauté for 5-10 minutes (or until protein is done cooking).
- Pour coconut milk over veggie mixture. Add ¼ cup veggie stock or water. Cook until veggies are soft.
- Serve over half cup cooked quinoa or whole grain brown rice.