Zoodles! Forget all about Pasta -- Zucchini Marinara
Move over spaghetti squash, there’s a whole new pasta-shaped veggie on the market. Actually, there’s an array of new options thanks to a small, affordable kitchen appliance called the spiralizer.
The spiralizer can take just about any veggie — one of my favorites is zucchini — and turn it into noodles for a healthier alternative to pasta. Zucchini noodles are a great way to use up the overwhelming supply of summer squash!!!
The zucchini’s subtle flavor makes zoodles a perfect stand-in for pasta. (Bonus: eating a plate of them gets you closer to satisfying your daily requirement of veggies.) Some zoodle recipes call for sautéing the zoodles, while others blanche them or leave them uncooked. Just make sure that you eat the raw noodles quickly, before they begin to sweat and fill your bowl with zucchini water.
One of my favorite super easy recipes is Zoodles Marinara (Zucchini noodles with chunky marinara sauce). This Zoodles Marinara recipe is super easy to make, super easy to customize, and SUPER delicious!
I actually enjoyed these zoodles marinara plain, but feel free to add in some cooked protein (chicken, shrimp, etc.) or extra veggies if you’d like. And of course, if you get creative with your spiralizer, there are plenty of other delicious veggies you could sub in for the zucchini. The options are endless!!
The sauce tastes fresh, flavorful, and is the absolute perfect accompaniment to just about anything you might feel like spiralizing.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onions
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (or pressed)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes OR garden tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup roughly-chopped fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or a pinch of cayenne)
- 2 large zucchinis, spiralized
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, for grating
- Heat oil in a large saute' pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes, then stir to combine.
- Continue cooking until the sauce reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low and continue to let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the oil on the surface is a deep orange and the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Taste, and season the sauce with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Add in the spiralized zucchini and toss until it is evenly coated with sauce.
- Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the noodles are slightly softened.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan cheese.
Share with us how you use your Zoodles in the comment below!!