Cozy Meals In A Bowl -- Root Vegetable Soup
As the weather begins to cool down warm up with this hearty, intensely flavored soup that is bursting with earthy, good-for-you vegetables!
Root Vegetable Soup with Fennel Bulb
Makes 6 servings (9 cups)
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 3/4 cups diced yellow beets
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 cup diced oninos
- 1 cup sliced parsnips
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 Parmesan rind
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp. each chopped fresh parsley, basil, and fennel fronds
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
Salt and black pepper to taste
Shredded parmesan to garnish
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; add carrots, beets, fennel, onions, parsnips and celery. Cook vegetables until they begin to soften, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with wine; simmer until reduced by half, 3-4 minutes. Stir in broth, bay leaves, and Parmesan rind. Simmer soup, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, parsley, basil, fennel fronds, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Garnish servings with shredded Parmesan.
Note: If you are not familiar with adding a Parmesan rind to a pot of soup as it cooks, don't be swayed by this idea. It adds great depth of flavor. And the trio of herbs adds a pop of freshness to the aromatic broth. It is so delicious!!
Per serving: 153 cal; 5g total fat (2g sat); 20g carb; 5g fiber; 8g protein.