Baby, it's cold outside!! When the temperatures plummets, and it's a little grey outside, it's easy to hide under a blanket and bing-watch your favorite show. But you still have to eat right?? That is where this quick recipe comes in handy. Start with these chili-smothered sweet potatoes: they are ready in just 30 minutes so you can get back to your cozy bed fast. And they can score you some extra points for being yummy enough for your Super Bowl party!!
"The Works"-- Chili Stuffed Sweet Potato
Serves 4: 1 cup chili + 1 sweet potato each
To make ahead: Refrigerate chili (after you make it of course) for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (you can substitute black beans if you are a vegetarian)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- l/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 140ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, I like a nice sharp cheddar or pepper jack
- Cook beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling the beef with a spatula, until the meat is browned. 8-10 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and coriander; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes (with their juice)and water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way through, 12 to 15 minutes. OR you can bake in the oven 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve the sweet potatoes topped with the chili and cheese.
Top It: add sliced scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado and sliced jalapeños are all tasty choices.
Make it meatless: omit the beef from the chili. Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan until tender. Stir in two 15-ounce cans rinsed black beans along with the spices and tomatoes. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
Cal 418/ fat 18g/ Carbs 35g/ Sugars 12g (0 added)/Protein 31g
REINVENT IT: THE CHILI MIX AND MATCH
Top 8 ounces tortilla chips with the chili and 2 cups shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until melted.
Serve the chili with 8 ounces cooked pasta of your choice. Use a whole-wheat or gluten-free spaghetti.